Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hands off my language!

Here's a toast to the English Language.
I'm what linguists call a "non-native speaker", and it is true, technically. But in all other respects, I contest that. I love the language, in all it's oddities, exceptions in grammar and difficult spellings and pronunciations. In fact, these are the very things I love about it. This Anglo-Saxon language, with its cold Germanic and Norse roots, has in my heart a place dearer than my own tropical, native tongue. Agreed, I'm no expert. I'm as prone to simple errors of mis-pronunciation and spelling as the next guy. But I think in this language, swear in this language, and even dream in it. That, according to accepted scientific theories, cannot happen, as one is always conditioned to dream in his native tongue. Nope, not me.
It seems odd, even to me, that today I have decided to register some sort of protest (i'll start with this post) against the manhandling of "my" language by the various other "non-native speakers" around the world. Why should I stand up for this language, the relic of my country's colonial past? I'm as uncomfortable understanding the accents and pronunciations of the "native" speakers, whether they are English, Scottish, American, Australian or Canadian, as anyone else from my background.
But an article in New Scientist magazine (29 March 2008) I was recently reading shocked, and surprised me. It says that the "non-native speakers" are hastening the transformation of the English Language into various dialects which will eventually be unintelligible to speakers of other dialects. Examples are Singaporean English (a bastard mixture of English, Tamil and Malay), Pidgin and Creole, and our very own Hinglish. The article also says that these peoples add native words into the mixture, and, more disturbingly, fail to correct their mis-pronunciations as long as they deal only with each other. Examples of this we can see in our own day to day lives. The "th" sounds in "the", and "thin" are losing out in many places to "d" and "z", "friend" becomes "frien", "succeed" becomes "suss-see", etc. Also, mass nouns like "information" and "furniture" are carelessly being pluraled as "informations" and "furnitures", and this is increasingly becoming accepted. Also, as English reaches out to more and more people, irregular varbs tend to become regularised. Example - "wed", whose past tense "wedded" is now accepted, though "wed" is its past tense form. Our own Hinglish puts me to shame sometimes. Agreed, Hindi-Urdu has been a major contributor to the English language, but the Hinglish thats spoken on the streets here is quite repulsive to me. I dont need to go into the examples of that, I hope.
Ok, fine, I'm a heartless purist. I'd rather hear the Metallica originals than the orchestrated versions of the S&M. But the point here is that I think we're losing something that cant be restored. In another century, the English spoken around the world will be vastly different. But thankfully, I'm not the only lamenting it.

Sid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.